Getting My Feet Wet in the Field...Again. -A Post Pandemic Return to the Classroom from Field Work in Costa Rica for Project Dragonfly Earth Expedition #2

Getting My Feet Wet in the Field...Again.

 -A Post Pandemic Return to the Classroom from Field Work in Costa Rica for Project Dragonfly Earth Expedition #2 .

    Would you believe me if I said that Covid didn't impact me in the least? I certainly hope not, because in some ways, I feel like it has changed my life in so many ways, not all of them bad. It has made me more patient, compassionate, reflective and caring. It has made me a better scientist, son, partner, teacher and many other things in my life.

On Covid & Costa Rica...and how I ended up there and where I'm going with the experience.

    I turned 40 not too many years ago and since then, I've been wondering...what am I going to do with this next decade of my life? I'm going to change the world, one student at a time. This is my story of how Project Dragonfly has been that big step and how each EE has taken me further up the ladder. I had no idea that shortly after the turn of a new decade, the pandemic would put our lives and professional pathways on pause for more than a year. 

    The theme of this entry is the power of looking within, looking around, observing and reflecting. This is how my time in Costa Rica changed my life. Change starts within and to ignite that fire for change, we have to be real with ourselves. We have to make ourselves vulnerable and transparent, because though startling at first, once we see past things and look within, along supportive eyes with similar visions. So I'm just going to put myself out there. Look within yourself. Observe. Listen. Watch. Express yourself. Express your fears. Ask for help but make yourself and your intentions clear.

    The aim of my 40's in a post pandemic world and classroom is to deepen my self understandings, identify and develop my strengths and put my passion and mind to use to bring change to the world, so we can hang on to it and all its beauty, as long as we possibly can.

On Observing My Privilege & Blessings.

    It is when we are farthest from home that we feel it's presence most. Home is where you hang your heart. It is where you passion burns and your belly is fed. Is is a place of rest...not always of comfort because like clothing, we grow and outgrow things and with comfort comes stagnation sometimes. The Bri Bri village was my home in Belize for a few short days and nights...but these days will stay with my always. I almost instantly felt more at home here in a space so very different from my own.

On Morning Silent Observations Reflection in Nature (and on allowing others to observe my thoughts.)

Drops of dew drip from moist leaves fall...or am I falling deeper in love with the life around me
The sound of birds, eager to communicate, yet I sit in silence, listening to them.
The trees sway ever so slightly.
Fish feed upward to their sky -the surface of the water that separates me from them...or is what connects us?
A new voice joins the bird song...a human laugh. A song to welcome the day.
The dragonfly hovers so effortlessly above the water.
The water of the river is murky...receding from last nights heavy rains.
Its stillness on land almost gives the appearance of upward growing moss, reaching for the sun, suspended in ice. Air so still.
The birds call carries and echoes over the water.
Footsteps approaching, no voice, but the clear mobile language of humans on a quest to engage their senses.
Look up! The key to the success of a downwards artists gaze.
Soft, wispy clouds hang above a fair weather sky. The day awaits.
The air feels less saturated and heavy today as the sky cried out last night.
A cool breeze moves across my skin and through my hair. Kissed by the morning.


Distorted reflections of self and nature gaze back up through the cracks of the dock.
The clouds change form as they move across the sky.
This all makes me think about the ways that I can use relevant and meaningful observations in nature and apply them to humanity and life.
Nature seems so flexibly, forgiving and infinite. Like the feeling of being a rubber band and then deciding you would never use the elastically kinetic and potential and abilities to expand yourself and do what you were intended to do, Observe, record, share, rinse, repeat.
A tired, stretched out band has held together many integral things in it's life. It's pushed it's limits tirelessly and unified ideas, secured plans and allowed for flexibility along the way.
Stretch your mind. Use  your senses. You'll bounce back but you'll have launched yourself in to life.

On Observing the people you're with.

It often times isn't about where you are, it's about whom you're with. In our case, it was both. We were in paradise with divine humans all with an immense amount of love, passion and compassion. On Day 1 in Costa Rica, I couldn't imagine that I would have the opportunity to lead and guide perfect strangers in to creating this amazing space and community together. Watch. It's amazing what you can see and what you can do with it all in very little time when you all share the same passion to understand and shape the world to be a better place for all who dwell there. 

Comments